What causes Brain Tumor?
- No one knows what causes brain tumors; there are only a few known risk factors that have been established by research.
- Children who receive radiation to the head have a higher risk of developing a brain tumor as adults, as do people who have certain rare genetic conditions such as neurofibromatosis or Li-Fraumeni syndrome.
- But those cases represent a fraction of the approximately 35,000 new primary brain tumors diagnosed each year.
- Age is also a risk factor — people over the age of 65 are diagnosed with brain cancer at a rate four times higher than younger people.
What is Brain Tumor?
- A primary brain tumor is one that originates in the brain, and not all primary brain tumors are cancerous; benign tumors are not aggressive and normally do not spread to surrounding tissues, although they can be serious and even life threatening.
- The National Cancer Institute estimates there will be about 23,380 new cases of brain cancer diagnosed in 2014.
- A tumor is a mass of tissue that’s formed by an accumulation of abnormal cells. Normally, the cells in your body age, die, and are replaced by new cells. With cancer and other tumors, something disrupts this cycle.
- Tumor cells grow, even though the body does not need them, and unlike normal old cells, they don’t die. As this process goes on, the tumor continues to grow as more and more cells are added to the mass.
What are the types of Brain Tumor?
- Primary brain tumors emerge from the various cells that make up the brain and central nervous system and are named for the kind of cell in which they first form. The most common types of adult brain tumors are gliomas and astrocytic tumors. These tumors form from astrocytes and other types of glial cells, which are cells that help keep nerves healthy.
- The second most common type of adult brain tumors are meningeal tumors. These form in the meninges, the thin layer of tissue that covers the brain and spinal cord.
- Benign brain tumors are noncancerous. Malignant primary brain tumors are cancers that originate in the brain, typically grow faster than benign tumors, and aggressively invade surrounding tissue. Although brain cancer rarely spreads to other organs, it will spread to other parts of the brain and central nervous system.
- A brain tumor is a mass or growth of abnormal cells in or close to your brain, which can be noncancerous (benign) or cancerous (malignant). Brain tumors can begin in your brain (primary brain tumors), or cancer can begin in other parts of your body and spread to your brain (secondary, or metastatic, brain tumors).
What are the commonly found types of Brain Tumor?
- Malignant glioma cells
- Gliomas. These tumors begin in the brain or spinal cord. Mayo Clinic experts treat all types of gliomas, including astrocytomas, ependymomas, glioblastomas, oligoastrocytomas and oligodendrogliomas.
- Metastases. These are malignant tumors that have spread to the brain from cancers elsewhere in the body.
- Meningiomas. Meningiomas are tumors that arise from the membranes that surround your brain and spinal cord (meninges). Most meningiomas are noncancerous.
- Illustration showing acoustic neuroma
- Acoustic neuroma (schwannoma)
- Acoustic neuromas (schwannomas). These are benign tumors that develops on the balance and hearing nerves leading from your inner ear to your brain.
- Pituitary adenomas. These are mostly benign tumors that develop in the pituitary gland at the base of the brain. These tumors can affect pituitary hormones with effects throughout the body.
- Medulloblastomas. These are the most common cancerous brain tumors in children. A medulloblastoma starts in the lower back part of the brain and tends to spread through spinal fluid. These tumors are less common in adults, but they do occur.
- PNETs. Primitive neuroectodermal tumors (PNETs) are rare, cancerous tumors that start in embryonic (fetal) cells in the brain. They can occur anywhere in the brain.
- Germ cell tumors. Germ cell tumors may develop during childhood where the testicles or ovaries will form. But sometimes germ cell tumors move to other parts of the body, such as the brain.
- Craniopharyngiomas. These rare, noncancerous tumors start near the brain’s pituitary gland, which secretes hormones that control many body functions. As the craniopharyngioma slowly grows, it can affect the pituitary gland and other structures near the brain.
What are the signs and symptoms of Brain Tumor?
The signs & symptoms of brain tumors vary from person to person depending on the size, location and growth rate of the tumor. Following are some of the signs and symptoms which are normally caused by brain tumors:-
- Severe and the changing pattern of headaches.
- Unexplained nausea or vomiting.
- Feeling of numbness or tingling in the arms or legs.
- Problems in hearing.
- Unable to concentrate.
- Increased sleep.
- Confusion in daily matters.
- Changes in behavior or personality.
- Difficulties in speech.
- Muscle jerking or twitching.
- Problems with memory.
- Difficulty in balancing.
- Problems in vision.
- Loss of sensation in arm or leg.
- Difficulties in speech
What are the treatments available for Brain Tumor?
Brain tumor treatment option depends on:-
- Type of tumor.
- The size of the tumor.
- Location of the tumor.
- The growth rate of the tumor.
- Overall general health of the patient.
Surgery: – Depending on the location of brain tumor it sometimes becomes easy for the surgeon to remove the tumor as much as possible. In some cases, the tumors are very small in size which is easy to separate from the surrounding brain tissue and makes it easier for the surgeon to remove the tumor completely. Whereas in some cases the tumor cannot be separated from the surrounding tissues as they are located in the much sensitive area of the brain making Brain Tumor Surgery riskier. In such cases, the surgeon removes as much as tumor possible. While performing Brain Tumor Surgery removing even a portion of the brain helps in reducing the signs and symptoms. Outpatient surgery for brain tumors is also available in India depending upon the condition of the patient. Recently in India, awake craniotomy surgery for brain tumors has seen large number of patients coming for the surgery. The best Brain Tumor Surgery doctors in Delhi are world famous for their experience and expertise. The success rate of brain tumor surgery in India is very excellent with good results.
Chemotherapy: – In chemotherapy medicines are used to destroy the cancer cells. There are only few chemotherapy medicines which work for a brain tumor. Chemotherapy drugs can be given orally in the form of pill or injection. Chemotherapy for Brain Tumor Treatment in Chennai, India has the largest number of patients coming for the treatment from across the globe.
Radiation Therapy: – In radiation therapy, high-energy beams such as protons or x-rays are used to kill the tumor cells. The radiation comes from the machine outside the patient’s body. Radiation can also be placed inside the body close to the brain tumor which happens in very rare cases. External radiation beam focuses on the area of the brain where the tumor is located or it can also be applied to the entire brain which is also referred as whole-brain radiation. This radiation is most often used to treat cancer which has spread to the brain from another part of the body. MRI guided Laser Ablation for Brain Tumor in India is also one of the choices of the International patients seeking the treatment in India for brain tumor. Cost of Radiation Therapy for Brain Tumor in India is very less as compared to other European countries.
Targeted Drug Therapy: – This therapy focuses on specific abnormalities which are present within the cancer cells and blocks them and lead the cancer cells to die.
Minimally Invasive Brain Tumor Surgery: – Minimally invasive Key Hole surgery for brain tumors is a type of technique to perform surgeries. Minimally invasive Brain Tumor Surgery is performed by making a small incision. Not everyone is recommended this surgery it depends on the type of the tumor the patient is suffering from, overall health and age of the patient. The minimally invasive approach is performed by removing the tumor which is close to the brainstem by making a small incision behind and below the ear. Minimally invasive Brain Tumor Surgery also know as keyhole surgery for brain tumors has various advantages over other surgeries such less loss of blood, less disturbance to the nearby tissues, faster recovery, and less hospital stay. Keyhole Craniotomy for Brain Tumors is also one of the option available in India.
Gamma Knife Radiosurgery: – Gamma Knife Radio Surgery falls under radiation therapy, which usually helps in treating tumors and several other abnormalities in brain. It is also known as Stereotactic Radio surgery, which is among the precise kind of therapeutic radiology procedures. Interestingly, this treatment option is non surgical and has no Gamma knife in it, which is known to have 90 percent of success rate. In this treatment option, a set of highly focused gamma rays are used to treat medium and small size lesions found generally in the brain. A number of beams coming from the gamma radiation are joined together to focus over the lesion during the treatment wherein an extremely intense kind of radiation dose is given to the patient without opting for any surgical procedure. Gamma Knife Surgery for Brain Tumors in India is among the most sought option for Gamma Knife Radio Surgery for the international medical tourists. Here, in India, they avail high quality treatment backed by affordable solutions. However, cost is not the only benefit the medical tourists enjoy in this country.
Why coming to India is best option for Brain Tumor Surgery?
- The average cost of Brain Tumor Surgery in western countries is very high.
- Price of Brain Tumor surgery in India is much less as compared to any other country.
- The average cost of Brain Tumor Surgery in western countries is very high.
- Brain tumor treatment cost in India is much less as compared to any other country.
- The success rate of brain tumor treatment in India is very high.
- India has some of the best neurosurgeons and healthcare facilities that offer their services at the most affordable costs.
- Neurosurgeons in India are highly skilled and experienced.
- Best brain surgery hospitals in India are equipped with the latest technology and equipment. You can find best affordable hospital for brain tumor surgery in Chennai on best price in India.
- Patients from abroad can save a huge amount on their expenses by undergoing low cost brain tumor surgery in India.
Why Choose Us?
Being India’s first government recognized Medical Value Provider, the facilities in India are worldly recognized and the surgeons have an international reputation. We are a trust-worthy group, which provides foreign patients with affordable treatment, easy communication and a friendly atmosphere.